Of most of the books we have read thusfar, it's ironic that the one I
understand the most is the weirdest book we read all year. (Well, one of the
weirdest, next to "A Modest Proposal")
Waiting for Godot is a bizarre drama that is less of a play and more
of a mish-mash of thoughts and ramblings. Most people play it off as the
ravings of crazy people or an unheard of author trying to be cool by writing
like a 5 year old...but I think it makes sense. The entire play is two men
waiting around for a person they're not sure they really know, but they both
stay and wait because that's what they've decided to do with their lives. What
this really reflects is the Existential Crisis. Who am I, what am I doing here,
why am I here, what am I waiting for? These are the questions we as human
beings ask ourselves at some point in time or another, and I feel that Waiting
for Godot explains them perfectly. The entire play is a jumbled stream of
consciousness, resembling life in the sense that nothing has as defined
structure as these two men wait for an indeterminable length of time for
something they’re not quite sure about…not unlike real life.
This is significant as this is something most people think about at some
point or another...what do I want to do with my life, is it worth it, why
should I bother? This is especially prominent in this stage of high school when
many students are looking into colleges and majors, wondering what it is that they
want to do with themselves. For most, this is a tricky time in their lives as they
struggle to find out who they are and if it’s worth doing much at all. I think
this is a normal event but that doesn’t make it any less strange or scary. I
think the reason is because no one truly knows what will happen in the future,
and that uncertainty makes us question everything. If everything was laid out
before us clear as day humanity would have had all the answers from the start,
but it’s for the best. At the same time perhaps it is a good thing to have some
sort of a purpose, even if it isn’t laid out in the stars. Perhaps it’s best to
sort out one’s own path and go with it, even if it means waiting for years and
years…well, maybe not, but the point still stands.
Good :-)
ReplyDelete